Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

A dangerous deer

A couple of days ago a conservation officer shot and killed a young  deer people on the Hutterite colony in Pilot Mount had been feeding. Feeding deer is against the law.
Apparently, if they would have stopped feeding the deer, the animal would have been demanding to be fed and it would have become a danger to people. Expert also agreed with this assumption.
You see, dogs have been bred to be friendly to people, but you can't breed the wild strain out of deer.
What the hell are we talking about here? How can you compare a deer to a dog? Dogs have sharp teeth and, as far as I'm concerned, still have plenty of aggression in their DNA. Many people, my dad included, have been bitten by so-called friendly dogs. I was lucky, I only got nipped in the leg.
Now, if they would have been feeding a wolf or a bear I could understand the concern but a deer? Come on! What would this poor animal have done? Gone crazy and attacked people? Perhaps ripped them apart with its sharp teeth? Or stomped them to death with its hoofs? We're talking about a small deer.
This was a senseless and stupid thing to do. What upset everyone is the fact that the officer shot the deer in front of onlookers, possibly even children, and didn't even clean up the mess.
If I, as a private citizen would have done that, I would have been charged with illegal hunting without a license out of season, but since a conservation officer did this, it is okay.
Sorry to say, it isn't okay. Apparently, he even used a small caliber weapon and the deer wasn't killed immediately. I'm a hunter and I shoot deer during hunting season. I follow the law, and I make every effort to give the animal a clean shot so it doesn't suffer.
Another example where somebody hides behind a badge to commit a despicable act.
Perhaps we should not continue feeding the birds anymore in case they become aggressive if we should stop feeding them. I might get attacked by a flock of angry sparrows. I saw the movie 'The Birds' by Alfred Hitchcock. Of course, those birds were gulls, but then...one never knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment