Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, January 27, 2014

#Captain Phillips




Last Saturday we watched the movie Captain Phillips, staring #Tom Hanks as the captain of a transport ship that is hijacked by Somali pirates.

What a great movie. Of course, with an actor like Tom Hanks how can you go wrong.

I’m not going to tell the whole story here or reveal the ending. It is actually a true story, but nevertheless it is exiting and nail-biting. The actors that played the Somali pirates were also extremely talented and made the story quite real. You just want to grab a gun and shoot them and my wife and I said jokingly several times, “Where is Steven Seagal when you need him?” Actor Steven Seagal, of course, is the Martial Arts expert who played a Navy Seal in the movie Under Siege where a ship was taken over by terrorists. Also a terrific movie but not a true story.

However, Captain Phillips was not that kind of a movie. What made it so much more frightening is the fact that this actually happened, and is still happening in that part of the world, the Indian Ocean. For the last couple of years efforts are being made to stop the piracy and it seems to be moderately successful.

There are believed to be four ships and 108 hostages currently being held by pirates in the region, who have made millions from what is effectively armed robbery and kidnapping at sea.

If you are interested in reading more, just click on the highlighted portion above. Another interesting link is below:

No comments:

Post a Comment