Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Let it snow...let it snow...

Here we go again. Another snowstorm. All the roads around Winnipeg are slippery and the visibility is low because of the blowing snow. We were supposed to babysit tonight but had to cancel because of the bad road conditions. I'm not going anywhere with slippery highways and all those idiots on the road. Right now (4:00 pm) it is near minus 10 C, but the forecast calls for around zero, with rain or possible thundershowers. Great...and this in January!

The barometer has dropped quite a bit since this morning and I can feel it in my bones and head.  All I need is a nosebleed the way I get them in Spring and in Fall when the weather changes and everything will be perfect. Why was I designed to be a biological barometer? No wonder older people like to go south for the winter.

I can just see the accidents happening again today. It seems people never learn. In December there were, apparently, over 6000 claims. Don't people ever watch TV and listen to these statistics? Every time I'm on the road and the conditions are bad there are still those drivers who need to pass me. Are people really so stupid and believe they are safe in their cars? It seems so. I don't even want to mention the riders of snowmobiles. There were already a few fatal accidents involving snowmobiles. I could never see the attraction of racing in the ditch.

Call me an old fuddy-duddy, I don't care. I will slow down and drive according to conditions. Unfortunately, those impatient drivers involve other drivers in their accidents, sometimes with fatal consequences. Most of the time it is the innocent, careful driver who dies. The bastards who cause the accidents live.

Even though the weather isn't great right now, I'm still considering myself lucky to live in Manitoba. When I see on TV how things are in the East or even to the South I'm glad I'm here. This morning I filled 4 containers with water just in case the power goes out, but we've never really had to worry about that. The odd times we lose power but only for a short time. I have a generator in case the power is out for longer, but so far I haven't had to use it. It is there for peace of mind.

The only time I've used that generator is when we go hunting. That's right. When we're in the bush we have electricity in our trailer. We even run a light to light up the area around our camp. All the comforts of home.

To come back to the snow and icy road conditions, here is something that isn't actually funny, but it still makes you laugh watching it. Just click on the link.

 http://www.youtube.com/embed/xKy2lLNQYrI?rel=0&iv_load_policy=3&showinfo=0

No comments:

Post a Comment