Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, January 3, 2014

The Stormy Season



Here we go again. We haven’t even gotten used to writing 2014 and already we’re hit with another snowstorm. We’ve had below normal temperatures with the thermometer hitting up to minus 40 C. Today it warmed up a bit, but now it is snowing. Some parts of Manitoba even have blizzard advisories. Visibility is poor on the highways and travel not recommend.

We just finished cleaning our driveway and the snow is already piling up in front of the garage door. We want to go grocery shopping tomorrow instead of today, the way we usually do, but the weather changed our mind. However, trying to get out of the garage  means blowing snow, and I’m still not quite over my cold. It seems to linger on. Going outside, taxing my tired body by doing physical work and breathing the cold air, is not really helping me getting over this cold. But I’m feeling much better already. There is hope.

Yesterday we had our friends R. and H. and my cousin M. and H. over and that always lifts the spirit. There is no better therapy than spending time with good friends and people you love, to joke and laugh and to forget about ailments and other sad things that invade our lives to make us miserable.

The start of a new year always means time to reflect and to count our blessings. Time to realize how lucky we are to live in a country that isn’t torn apart by violence and death. The only things we worry about are the usual scum that live in every society, the ones who break into people’s homes, the ones who rob people, steal cars, the ones who don’t want to work but still desire to possess what honest working people accumulate through hard work.

Friends of ours have a problem with their credit card. Some lowlife charged $12,000.00 to their account by buying an airplane ticket to some place in Arabia. They had that cleared up, now somebody bought $5,000.00  worth of airplane tickets in Winnipeg and charged it to their account. They don’t even live in Winnipeg, so how could they buy tickets here? There isn’t enough punishment for people who get caught committing these crimes, or any kind of crime. Too many bleeding hearts and unscrupulous lawyers out there defending them. Perhaps the Shakira law isn’t so bad after all. Unfortunately, the people who believe in that kind of punishment commit larger and more heinous crimes against the rest of the world. So much for that.

Anyway, I’m staying home today and I’ll be wasting my time on the computer, instead of wasting it outside freezing my butt off. I might even watch my fish swimming in the aquarium and dream of frolicking in the ocean in some warm southern country and afterwards lying on the beach soaking up the sun. And in the evening going for a walk with my wife down a gravel path under tall palm trees, listening to the sounds of a romantic Latin song...Oh, oh, I was wrong. It is loud Western music blaring from the speakers down by the beach...

Oh well, not all dreams are perfect. I think I’ll put a CD into my player, a CD we bought in Cuba last year, featuring a piano player by the name of Ishmael. He played wonderful classical music. I wish I was there right now... 

Happy New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment