Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, August 8, 2014

#Folklorama 2014



Like every year for two weeks, Winnipeg celebrates #Folklorama. Pavillions let people travel to different countries from all over the world. They display artifacts and put on shows to entertain visitors with snippets from their cultures. And they offer different foods eaten in their country of origin.

We went to the #Brazilian Pavillion on Monday expecting an exciting show featuring dancers with colorful costumes, but we were disappointed. Some people probably liked the display of drumming, but for us it was much too noisy. I had to stuff pieces of Kleenex into my ears because of the loud drums.

There was also display of some kind of martial arts and later on one male and two female dancers, but it was too short. The drumming never stopped.

I’m not saying it was not good. The performers worked hard and had plenty of talent, and there was lots of energy displayed, it’s just listening to drumming is not at the top of my list of things to enjoy. I hate any kind of noise. The food was good as was the #Brazilian beer. We ate beans with rice and chicken on a stick.

Last night we went to the #Russian Pavillion. We enjoyed it immensely. Wonderful display of dancing by a group from Toronto. And the costumes were beautiful. Two couples danced some kind of ritual dance and the girls were dressed in long white gowns. They seemed to float across the stage. It was quite riveting.

There was a clown. He was funny. And the guy who played the Accordion (Schifferklavier in German) was a pleasure to listen to. His fingers moved with skill across the keyboard. Great and enjoyable entertainment.

We had the combination plate, which consisted of rice with raisins and apricots, dumplings with meat inside, a pocket fillet with cheese, a bowl of borscht, salad, and a cup with juice. $15.00 one plate. It tasted good, even though I could have done without the raisins and apricots in the rice. The borscht was different from the way my wife makes it. She makes it with red beets; this one was with cabbage and potatoes. It was very good.

We left satisfied, mentally and food-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment