Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Saturday, August 9, 2014

#Punjab Pavilion at #Folklorama 2014



Last night we went to visit the #Punjab Pavilion. The small country of Punjab is located in the north of #India. Population 28 million. Apparently, there are around 800 000 people from Punjab living in Canada. They started coming to Canada in early 1900. Something I didn’t know.

The show was entertaining and vibrant. Beautiful costumes and the dancers put on a great performance. The form of #martial arts displayed was interesting and looked dangerous. They used sticks and swords and small shields. Apparently, it was not rehearsed. The only thing I didn’t care for was the loud music. I don’t know why they always have to crank up the speakers to maximum. Especially the bass was much too loud. My chest was vibrating and it made me feel uneasy. My wife had the same reaction. That can’t be healthy. Maybe I sound like a broken record complaining about the loud music, but I have a problem with noise. My hearing isn’t that great anymore because of the years of working in a noisy environment. I’d like to keep what I still have left.

You just can’t enjoy music if it is played so loud that the speakers vibrate. Music needs to be played at a level that you can relax and listen to. Ironically, when we drove home, there was a car behind us with open windows. They had their speakers turned so high that our car was vibrating so badly I though we’d bounce right of the road. Either those 2 guys in the car were already deaf from constantly listening to such loud noise or they were on the verge of going deaf.

We ate #butter chicken and it tasted great. It was quite spicy, but we love spicy food. It cost $12.00 and you got a few pieces of butter chicken, salad, chick peas or beans, plenty of rice, and a very sweet desert ball dipped in honey. We drank #Indian beer (Fisher) for $5.00 each. It didn’t taste any different from our local beer, which would have cost $4.50, but it was just the idea drinking imported beer.

We can recommend the Punjab Pavilion. If you don’t mind loud music then go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment