Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, August 15, 2014

#Spanish Pavilion at #Folklorama 2014



This is the second and last week of Folklorama in Winnipeg. Wednesday we went to the #Spanish Pavilion. We were there already at 5.50 p.m. and people were already lining up to get in for the 6:45 performance. When they opened the doors at 6:00 p.m., the line was quite long. Then we stood in line to get our food. We had the combination dinner for $10.25, which consisted of rice, one jumbo shrimp, and a piece of chicken. It tasted quite nice, even though the piece of chicken was small and we would have liked at least one more shrimp. But then again, it wasn’t a restaurant and the idea is to sample the various foods of the different countries.

We drank domestic beer for $4.95 a bottle. We could have had imported Spanish beer, but for me most light beers taste the same. Admittedly, some brands are bitterer than other brands, but I didn’t see the reason for spending more money, so we stuck with a beer we knew. I know some people will argue with me that not all beers are created equal, but I’m not that discriminating. We drank imported beer at the Brazilian Pavilion. Afterwards I realized it was only a 600 ml bottle, which I shared with my wife. I paid $10.00 for it. Had I bought local beer we would have had 682 ml (2 bottles) for $9.00. (Yes, I’m a stickler for numbers. I like bargains and I resent it when someone is trying to cheat me. I always carry a calculator (a metric converter!) when I go shopping. Too many stores try to confuse you by using ml, oz, inches, cm, mm and ml. so you can't compare. Today we bought 3 liters of peaches in a basket. I'm not kidding!.)

The entertainment at the Spanish Pavilion was great. Beautiful costumes and talented dancers. Even the music was not too loud and quite enjoyable.

We had a wonderful evening and we left happy—well, almost happy. I wish some people would be more considerate and realize where they are, so continuously talking and waving their hands around is annoying to the people behind them who want to watch the show. We had two women like that sitting at our table ahead of us. Another couple was passing their kid back and forth across the table. Maybe I'm just getting old and miserable. It's hot and humid outside and in our sun-room while I'm writing this and it may affect my mood.

Go and visit the Spanish Pavilion if you're in the area. You will enjoy it. If you're not in the area, come and visit Winnipeg next year and visit all the Pavilions. It's like taking a tour around the world and it costs less money. There are people from many countries living in Manitoba and we all get along just fine. Perhaps the rest of the world can learn from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment