Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Trends and other crazy stuff



 What a crazy summer we’re having this year. We had some hot days and plenty of rain. The past four days we got about 90 mm of rain. Fortunately, it came down slowly and not all at once. Winnipeg wasn’t so lucky. They had 80 mm of rain in a short time a few days ago. Many streets were under water. People were using a canoe and one guy was snorkeling in his street. Underpasses were so full of water cars became stuck. Many basements were flooded.

This morning it rained, then it cleared up, then it rained again. After supper, I went outside to cover the BBQ and to take the compost pail to the compost bin. As I walked out, I looked at the clouds and thought, “It will rain again.” No sooner do I finish that thought, the first drops began to fall. I managed to cover up the BBQ, the wind and rain started and I barely made it back into the house without being drenched—and I carried my little pail with the kitchen scraps with me.

Actually, I had in mind to check the trap I set out in my garden. Yesterday I found one nice red tomato, but I wanted it to ripen one more day on the vine. This morning I saw another rabbit in the yard. When I went to the garden to pick my red tomato, it was half-eaten. I picked it anyway and ate the left over piece. Now the trap is waiting for the little bugger.

Sitting in the house watching the rain gives one an opportunity to contemplate things. The other day I read a poem. The person who rode it called it a poem, but I thought it was crap. Nothing rhymed; in fact, the whole thing had no rhyme or reason. Just a bunch of words that didn’t make any sense put into sentences that didn’t make any sense, either. Apparently, it is called ‘Modernist’ poetry. Another award-winning ‘Poem’ I read was just a cute little story written in what is called ‘Stanza’. Each short sentence gets its own line. It was cute but in my mind not a poem, just a short story.

Perhaps I’m old fashioned. I don’t like change. My motto is: If it isn’t broken don’t fix it. Why change just for the sake of change? Makes no sense to me. I don’t follow trends, because I’m not a sheep. Just because everyone does it or wears it doesn’t mean I have to. My wife calls me stubborn. I’ve been looking for a thin jacket (they used to call them ‘lumber jack jackets’), no nylon and no liner. I have one hanging in my closet, but it is a bit frayed and I wear it only in the yard. I’ve been looking for a long time but can’t find one that looks like my old one. When I find one I might like it is either made from nylon and you’ll sweat to death in it, or it has a liner (I have one of those already), or it is designed in such a way I wouldn’t want to be seen dead in it. The other day I found one that was almost what I sought. A little long and too many visible pockets, but it had no liner. I almost bought it until I saw the price: $200.00 on sale. I dropped it like a hot potato. I told me wife, I wouldn’t pay more than $25 bucks for it, and even then I would have second thoughts. It wasn’t even what I was looking for, just close to it. “It’s a designer jacket,” my wife said. For me, that is no reason to pay big bucks. “Designer, Shminer,” I said. Why would I want to pay lots of money for something some gay guy dreamed up when he was high on something?

I bought a pair of jeans. The looked like my old ones, the comfortable ones, but they were not the same. They call them hip-huggers. What the hell is the reason for that? They look okay, but when I walk, I have the feeling they’ll be sliding down my hips, past my knees and down to my ankles. They are unbelievable uncomfortable. “You’d better get used to them,” my wife said. “Because that’s all you find these days.” “It seems they are trying to save on material,” I said. “What other reason would there be to design something like this?” On top of everything, they are too long. I’m shrinking. I used to buy 32 inches in leg length, now I have to buy the 30-inch ones and they are still scraping the floor. AAGGHH I want to scream. What is wrong with people? Doesn’t anyone have a mind anymore? Do they have to do and eat and wear what some jerk somewhere in who knows where comes up with? What is the big attraction of buying and wearing jeans with holes in them, or the front totally ripped, or the cuffs frayed? In fact, the jeans I bought had frayed bottoms. “It’s the style,” my wife says. I’ve thrown better-looking jeans into the garbage, because I don’t want to wear them even in the yard or garden. There is no worse feeling then having your kneecaps pop out of the holes in your jeans and have dirt falling in when you kneel down.

Are people really that crazy? The lines at Tim Horton are getting longer because people ‘need’ their coffee fix. They need to eat popcorn and nachos when they go to the movies. They wear their glasses on top of their head instead over their eyes because it looks cool. Everyone these days seems to get a tattoo. And what’s with those girl’s piercing their tongue and putting a pearl through it, and those rings through their lips, nose, and brows? Some of them can’t even talk properly anymore. Or a dozen rings in their ears? Guys do it too. The farmers put a ring through a bull’s nose and then they attach a stick to control the bull.

I could go on, but I get weary. Maybe it’s a sign of old age to resist change. Young people get bored easily and they are looking for ways to find themselves, whatever that means. They are easily influenced. They want to be different from their parents. They want to do their own thing when in reality they are all the same. They don’t realize that they are not doing their own thing but they are following the herd. They see it on TV or in magazines or in the movies and they copy it. We were probably no different, we just don’t remember.

Let’s hope the sun makes an appearance soon. I’m in a gloomy mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment