Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, April 20, 2012

Dogs and their owners

Last week we cleaned up our yard. We de-thatched the lawn, picked up the leaves still left over from last fall, picked up the old grass and even cut the new growth. We had over 50 garbage bags full, which I took to the dump to be used on the municipality's compost pile. Nothing goes to waste that way. We also picked up all of the fallen branches around the perimeter of our property and burned them. It took us 2 days to do all that. 2 days of hard work, but the yard looks nice. Which brings me to the reason of this blogging. Before I could get started I had to clean up nearly a dozen small mountains of dog-crap. I could use a stronger word, but I will refrain from that. It is disgusting to have to clean up other people's dog-crap. We don't have a dog, but had we one we would make sure the dog did not go on other people's property. I don't understand how dog-owners can be so irresponsible. They take their dog for a walk and let them do their business on my property. Actually, they do it in the ditch, which technically is not our property anymore, but I cut the grass and keep the ditch clean and neat-looking. I'm not happy when I drive over dog-crap with my lawn-tractor.
So I made a couple of signs which I posted on either side of our property. Anyone with a bit of a brain cannot miss them and knows what they imply. I just hope the dog-owners who walk by with their dog respect them. I'm going to have to put up some solar-lites for those who come in the early morning hours or late at night in the cover of darkness.

Here is a picture of me with my new signs. I don't know why I'm smiling, even though my smile is a little forced. I should have a stern expression on my face, but what the heck...it isn't worth getting all worked up over it. I just might burst a blood-vessel and then I couldn't enjoy my beautiful yard anymore. The signs look actually quite nice in the grass, especially when they are highlighted by the sun. Even my neighbor came by and admired them. He told me he wouldn't have spent the money on any signs. He just wrote some stuff on a huge cardboard, telling the offenders that his yard is not a toilet for dogs and some other information. He didn't use the word dog-crap though. I don't think I need to write anything on my signs. The picture says it all. If anyone is offended by the signs then it is their problem, not mine. I'm offended by the brown stuff on my lawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment