Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday, the 13th

Are you superstitious? I'm not, well...maybe just a little. This is supposed to be an unlucky day. There are some people who are trying their darndest to tempt fate and prove those superstitions wrong. They will travel on Friday the 13th, will board a plane as the 13th passenger, try to get a seat in seat 13, and stuff like that. I  think if you're superstitious,  your subconscious will create situations that could get you into an unlucky incident. You might be careless and not watch where you're going and you will bump into a pole, or trip because you didn't pay attention, and then you'll proclaim that superstitions are valid. Same goes for lucky and unlucky numbers. I've tried to play the lotteries using what I consider my lucky numbers but none worked so far. Perhaps they were my unlucky numbers. Who knows.
I was going to do some work in the yard today. Yesterday was such a nice day, but we had to babysit. The weather-people forecast rain for today, but most of the time they are wrong. Today they were right. Lucky for them...unlucky for me. Hmm. Perhaps there is something to be said for Friday the 13th.
So now I'm planning for working outside on Monday. It is supposed to be sunny. Will they be right? We'll see.
Of course, we need the rain. Everything is quite dry and the threat of grass-fires is great. We've had a few houses already burn to the ground in rural areas.
Since it is Friday today we'll be eating fish for supper. Not because of religious reasons. Why would God care if we eat fish or not on Friday? That has never made sense to me. We eat fish because it is already a tradition with us. Before I was married and I lived with my parents, we ate fish on Friday, but only because that's when the fish-wagon came by on that day.
That thing about eating fish on Friday was introduced by the Church centuries ago, at least that's what I assume. The reason for that lies shrouded in the mists of time. Probably another control-thing. People are just so gullible. Sometime I have a hard time believing that intelligent people can be taken in by what authorities, real or self-imposed ones, tell them. There are times, of course, when people have no choice but to obey and follow those laws, even if they don't agree with them, especially if they live in countries ruled by dictatorial governments. But in a free world, or comparatively free world, we do have choices.
It is a psychological thing. Most people are afraid of punishment, be it in this life or in the hereafter. Even if they don't really believe, they will say, "I'll do it, just in case there is something to this."
I guess I'll stay home today. One never knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment