Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, April 9, 2012

Provincial Excellence in Sustainability Award

I’m a proud father today. Our son Richard won a Manitoba Excellence in Sustainability Award for his work as a researcher. Richard is a wetland biologist working for IISD (International Institute for Sustainable Development) in Winnipeg.

Netley–Libau Nutrient-Bioenergy Project wins provincial sustainability award
The Netley–Libau Nutrient-Bioenergy Project, conducted in partnership with the University of Manitoba and Ducks Unlimited Canada, won a Manitoba Excellence in Sustainability Award at a ceremony at the Manitoba Legislative Building on Thursday, April 5, 2012. These annual awards are given out by the Manitoba Round Table for Sustainable Development to recognize and honour people, projects and ideas that successfully integrate the Principles and Guidelines of Sustainable Development into concrete and lasting achievements. The Netley–Libau Project won in the “Innovation and Research for Sustainability” category, and Richard Grosshans, lead project researcher since 2006, was there along with Hank Venema to receive the award from the Honourable Gord Mackintosh, Minister of Conservation and Water Stewardship.

You can read more about it here:


This is what Richard is working on:

The Netley-Libau Nutrient-Bioenergy Project, Netley-Libau Marsh
  • This project examines how cattail plants capture and store nutrients, how harvesting the plants can reduce nutrients entering Lake Winnipeg and how the plants can be harvested for use as a low-carbon fuel source. The project is a collaborative effort by Richard Grosshans, the International Institute for Sustainable Development, the University of Manitoba and Ducks Unlimited Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment