Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pelicans

The weather is warming up during the day, but the nights are still cold and  below zero C. Today was sunny and quite nice. We had lunch and supper in our sunroom. It is only a three-season-room, which means it can only be used in spring, summer, and fall, but we cheat a little. We have a heater in the room and we've already started using it in March. If we're lucky we can use it until November, depending on the weather. It is just so nice to sit in the room with all the windows, the sun is shining and everything is bright. Even our canary is the happiest little guy when he is in the sunroom. He was not happy when we built it, because it cut off much of the light coming into the kitchen and the corner where his cage hangs. If he can't go out into the bright room he mopes.
Speaking of birds, today I saw a couple of pelicans circling in the air. The first time this year. From spring to fall they congregate by the Lockport dam, because that's where all the fish are. The flock of pelicans has grown over the years. Now there are almost too many there. They are ungainly looking birds when they are on the ground, but once in the air, they look majestic and elegant. There is nothing more beautiful than watching a flock of pelicans gliding with seeming ease across the sky.
Our pelicans are pure white with black wingtips, compared to the ones by the ocean in Mexico, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic, which are gray. I have no idea why. I'm not a pelican expert.
The frost we've had these last few days and nights has set back the tulips. They are growing but not blooming yet. The lilies and irises are also poking their heads out of the ground, and the lilacs and our choke cherry trees have small leafs on their branches. For the first time this year I left my curly parsley over the winter in the garden. There is some growth there, but the frost may have damaged what is above ground and it will probably die off, but the roots are there and I should have parsley early this year. Parsley is great in soups, salads, and other foods. Apparently, it also has health benefits. The pepper-seeds in my flats have sprouted and are already about 2 inches high. Hopefully, they'll be nice and strong when it is time to plant them into the garden sometimes at the end of May or beginning of June. It all depends on the temperature. Every year is different. Last year I didn't have a good harvest of peppers, unlike in 2010, when I had an abundance.
If the weather stays like this, we'll probably be working in the yard on Friday, raking the grass and cleaning up. Would be nice to get a head-start.

No comments:

Post a Comment