Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Highway Robbery

We are being robbed and there seems to be nobody doing anything about it. I'm talking about Gas prices.

Today I filled up my tank at Costco and was surprised to see the price of regular gasoline at $1.269 per liter. Usually, Costco sells gas 10 cents a liter cheaper. Then I found out that prices for gas have risen to $1.359. And it's not even the long weekend! What is going on? The price of a barrel of oil has fallen, so why would gas prices go up? This is blatant robbery. I wish our government would step in and do something about, but they won't, because the higher the price of gas the more money flows into government coffers. They need more money so they can pay those high salaries and fringe benefits, and high pensions, to the senators, who have to work only 72  days a year to earn the money. And let's not forget the high salaries and pensions government workers get, but that is another topic.

But, anyway, it all boils down to the oil companies. They are gouging the consumers. Why? Because they can do it and they can get away with it.

We so desperately need an alternate power supply so we are not dependent on oil anymore.  There has to be a better and cheaper way to power cars and trucks and trains, lawn tractors, even airplanes. Somebody just has to discover it. But will the oil companies allow it? That is the question. They will fight to the death to keep their hold on the world and go to extremes to keep any new invention suppressed. One can only hope it is their death.

No comments:

Post a Comment