Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, May 17, 2013

Oil companies gouging consumers again

I was going to fill up my tank today, but I drove right by the gas station when I saw the price: $1.289 for one liter. A few days ago it was $1.229, and before that $1.199. So what happened? The price of oil is down, so what's the excuse?

Ahh, I figured it out. It's the long weekend. Many people drive out to the camp grounds or their cottages. They need to fill up their cars, their RVs, their boats. What  a great opportunity to cash in and to gouge the consumer. And is done so blatantly. The oil companies know that nobody will do anything about it. Not the government, that's for sure. And people will still buy the gas, even if they complain bitterly. It doesn't help anyway. I'm just always surprised to still see all those gas-guzzling trucks on the road.

When I looked at the gauge in my car I figured I'm not going anywhere this weekend except for doing a little shopping in a nearby store. I can last until next week. Usually, after the long weekend the price falls again. I hope I'm not wrong, otherwise I'll drive my bicycle. Oh, just a minute, I just remembered I don't have a bicycle. Well, I guess I'll have to buy one. I need the exercise anyway. I can always put a small motor on my bicycle. I remember it was the thing in Germany in the 1950s. I was a kid then and couldn't afford a motor for my bike, but one of my friends had one. I was envious then. The only thing I could afford was a piece of cardboard between the spokes to make it sound like a motorcycle, and the faster I pedaled the louder it sounded. What fun. But it was cheaper than driving a car. Perhaps I'll go back to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment