Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Spring Cleanup and an unpleasant discovery



Spring cleanup and an unpleasant discovery


It was a beautiful day today. Temperature in the double digits. That’s Celsius for you people who are still using Fahrenheit, but there is nothing wrong with that. All the snow is gone except for a few small patches here and there. Time to start with the Spring cleanup.

We have a septic field. For the winter, we spread about 50 garbage bags filled with grass on top of the field to collect the snow to keep the field from freezing. I removed the bags today and put them onto our driveway. I will have to take them to the garbage dump, as I do every year. I also took off the Christmas lites and stored them away for next year.
I found a few tulips, lilies, and Irisis poking their heads out of the ground. I also saw one little Ladybug, and some Earthworms hiding under the bags. They disappeared quickly into the ground below. Earthworms are good for the soil.
It was high time to remove the bags because the grass underneath it is already turning yellow.

We still have a lot of juncos feeding from the feeders. I have to fill up the feeders every second day. There is a rabbit hiding under our sunroom. He will be welcome as long as he doesn’t start eating the plants later on. Last year he ate most of the pansies, so my wife won’t have any this year. He also likes to nibble on my lettuce in the garden. I’m only assuming this is the same one. It could also be a she-rabbit. Right now he’s munching away on grass and seeds from the birdfeeder. The grouse that came for a visit a few days ago came back. This time there were four of them. I didn’t get a chance for some good pictures. They were hiding under the spruce trees.

Found a crow’s nest in one of the spruce trees. Don’t know yet if I’m happy about that, because crows are noisy. Last year they made such a spectacle outside. There was a whole flock of them. It was in the fall and I’m guessing some of them were youngsters. I don’t know where they had their nest last year. It may already have been in our tree.

Anyone who reads my blog on a regular basis probably knows about the ‘egging’ we suffered at Easter. Some hoodlums threw eggs at our house and emptied a can of used oil onto our driveway. We managed to clean the eggs from the garage door but didn’t get around to cleaning the window until today. That’s when we discovered the unpleasant thing.
There was a piece of glass wedged between two bricks right under the window that had been egged. Then I found more glass on the ground. The piece between the bricks was the bottom of a whiskey bottle. This leads me to believe that someone threw a bottle at our house with the intention to break a window. They missed, fortunately. Now, egging our house is bad enough, but trying to break something is a totally different ballgame.

All this talk about terrorism these days. Well, I would consider this kind of stuff some form of terrorism. There is a similarity between throwing a bomb with the intent to kill, maim, or cause damage to property and throwing a hard object at a window intending to break it. Throwing a bottle is just something on a small scale, but the thought behind it is the same: Intent to destroy and cause physical damage to property or people. Sounds crazy? Imagine if they would have hit the window, shattered the glass, the thrown bottle could have done more damage inside or even hit a person sitting in the room, causing injury or even death.
Farfetched? Strange things have happened.

I kept the larger pieces of glass, the bottom and the top of the bottle as evidence, in case I ever need it. I made sure I didn’t touch it so not to contaminate the fingerprints. By the way, the little bastards who smashed our driveway lites last year, left good prints behind. They are now in Ottawa in a database with the RCMP.

No comments:

Post a Comment