Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Right to bear Arms



I am baffled by this obsession with guns the Americans seem to have. I am a hunter and I have guns, but I do believe in some kind of gun control. Automatic weapons, be they handguns or machine guns, do not belong in private citizens’ hands. There is absolute no logical reason for that. The whole gun thing is nothing but political fueled by big business (weapon’s manufacturers, dealers, sporting goods stores etc.) and by people who are into criminal activities.
Today I heard something on the news that made me shake my head. The President of the National Rifles Association apparently said, “Didn’t you wish you had a gun when you were at the bombing in Boston?”
What?
That is one of the most idiotic statements I’ve heard in my life. What would having gun have done? Nothing, except for idiots shooting at shadows or at each other. There were only a couple of bombers not an army of attackers shooting at people. There wasn’t anyone there to defend against.

The other disturbing thing happened in Middlefield, OH. At a routine check a man got out of his car and opened fire with an AK47 shooting at 2 police officers in their car, who incidentally were wounded by the suspect. They finally shot and killed him. A 42 year old man. A motive has not yet been established. They found more weapons and instructions on how to make bombs in his car.

After that incident I’m asking this question: Do automatic weapons like AK 47s belong in private hands?
Anyone answering this with ‘Yes’ is a total moron with no mind of his (or her) own and has no idea what he (or she) is talking about. Yes, there are women also who want to have guns. I can almost see one reason why they want to own a gun: To defend themselves against an abusive husband, but if they shoot and kill him, they’ll end up in jail. So, there goes that reason.

Some people say they need a gun in case a burglar breaks into their house. See what happened to that runner in Africa who shot and killed his girlfriend. He thought she was a burglar. Very fishy story, but possibly true. Had he had no gun she would probably still be alive. Most people are not proficient enough with a handgun to hit a human target and would probably end up dead if they should try to defend themselves against a robber. Criminals have no problem shooting people, regular people do. It’s a psychological thing. And our laws are such that you’d better be really careful when shooting at someone...even a burglar. You will get charged. Victims always lose, even with the law.

That is my opinion for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment