Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, May 10, 2013

If things can go wrong...

Went to the dump this morning to get rid of the bags full of grass I put into my van. The weather people predicted rain, but not until the afternoon. When I left it was cloudy, but didn't look like rain. Well, I was wrong. No sooner did I get to the dump and started unloading the first batch of bags it started raining, but I didn't give in to the temptation to leave. I worked like a man gone mad to dump the grass out of the plastic bags. By the time I was done I was quite wet but happy to be rid of the grass, especially knowing there is still another load waiting at home.
Guess what, after I got home, the rain stopped and we had sunshine in the afternoon. That's Murphy's Law again.

I went to get gasoline. I paid $1.229 for a liter. The attendant told me the price had dropped from $1.259, but a couple of days ago it  had been $1.199. The gas companies are playing their game again. It is maddening. I wish we could find a totally different source of power to drive our cars and finally break the hold the oil companies have on the world. We are held hostage by the oil companies. Much of the problems we have on our planet can be traced back directly to the oil companies. That's why we are in the Middle East, that's why we have all the problems with those countries. If we didn't need the oil everyone would pull out and leave those people alone. Perhaps then we may have peace. But that is another topic.

My wife and I are quite concerned with our intake of salt. There is too much salt in everything you eat, even drink. We used to drink Soda Water, but then we discovered there is quite a bit of sodium in it, we also found out there is no salt in carbonated Spring water. So we started buying that. We usually buy it at Extra Foods or the Real Canadian SuperStore (used to be called SuperValue). Most of the time we paid $1.00 for a liter bottle, sometimes it was on sale for 88 cents. Lately Extra Foods are asking $1.69. Super Store wants $1.49. What the heck happened? Are more people buying it now? So they decide to raise the price? I think we'll be going back to drinking water out of our tap. We have well-water and it is good.
That reminds me of something in the 1970s. Yes, that long ago. For a long time we barbequed and ate Porterhouse Steaks. That's the filet on a T-bone steak. Suddenly the price went up and we switched to Cross-rib Steaks. The meat was a bit tougher but it was a fine tasting steak. And it was cheap. Well, it didn't last. I guess, more people started buying Cross-rib Steaks, so the stores realized it was a big seller and they decided to raise the price. It happens all the time. Now you can't even buy those steaks anymore, because for some reason I don't know they are removing the rib part and sell only the meat, at a price to high to make it a good buy. After all, the meat is not that great. It is a bit tough and you have to marinate it. The little riblets gave it the great taste.

Today my wife made Roladen. (No, it's not for an upset stomach.) It is a German dish, rolled meat filled with onions, bacon, and mustard. The meat was actually deer meat. Roladen are cut from the part that is the Roundsteak. With the Roladen we ate Spaetzle (Pasta German style. They eat it in the the south of Germany), and we also had broccoli and a salad. And a glass of red wine. The meal made up for the lousy weather in the morning. Usually, we eat fish on Fridays. Not for religious reasons, not anymore anyway. It is a custom still left over from the Old Country. We ate fish yesterday. Don't ask why. It just happened that way.



No comments:

Post a Comment