Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, April 13, 2015

#And Time stood still.



They say time flies when you’re having fun. That is so true, but time seems to stand still when you’re not feeling good. Time stood still for me for the last few days. My wife and I we both got ourselves a cold, but this cold was worse than any I can remember. I probably had colds like this before, but fortunately, we forget about those.

Last Wednesday I developed a fever which lasted until yesterday and a bad cough, but the worst was the nausea I suffered for two days. I spent most of the night in the kitchen drinking fennel tea. Needless to say I was dead-tired in the morning. Yesterday, I ate a piece of toast and half a banana for breakfast and a small bowl of vegetable soup, but I had to work hard to even swallow it down. My appetite was gone. Then I was lying on the couch, trying to rest, but the nauseous feeling was so bad I couldn’t even do that. I felt like a zombie. When finally drifted off, my body was racked by a coughing spell. Not a great time I must say. I don't wish that even on my worst enemy.

For supper I had only a piece of toast. This nausea reminded me of the times when I was on a ship crossing the ocean, but that was a long time ago and my memory vague. The last time I suffered from nausea was when I went fishing with my friends, but when we set foot on land I felt better. This one was worse than that one and it didn’t stop.

I took spoonfuls of Diovol, drank fennel tea and peppermint tea. I also made myself some ginger tea, which was a bad idea. It was too spicy and burned my throat. I read on some website to nibble on a piece of ginger. Has anyone actually ever done that? Not advisable unless one loves the burning sensation of the hot ginger in the mouth. Well, whatever remedy I tried, nothing helped.

The worst thing is the loss of valuable time. The weather was beautiful these last few days and there is lots of work to be done in the yard, but I felt so exhausted and not at all like working outside. And yesterday I wasted the whole day dozing on the couch. What a waste of a beautiful day!

When you feel so sick and you can’t imagine anymore how it feels to be healthy, you would welcome it if a huge asteroid hit the Earth and ended it all. It wouldn’t matter. Anything would be better than feeling so lousy.

Today I’m feeling okay, the nausea is gone, but I’m terribly tired. I lost 5 pounds from not eating. Why is it that we never lose weight from those parts of our body that actually need to lose some weight?

While I’m writing this, my wife is watching the Price is Right. What’s wrong with these women coming up to bid on the prizes? Some of them scream like stuck pigs and they jump around like someone stung by a swarm of bees. I’ve never seen men do that. I don’t watch the show, but I sneak a peek once in a while, especially when I hear some crazy woman screaming. Don’t they have any self-control? Even my wife finds them annoying.

On a more pleasant note: It’s beautiful outside. The sun is shining and the weather is getting better. We’re getting lots of birds coming to the feeders right now, and not just sparrows. The Juncos are here. They usually hang around for a couple of weeks. And today I saw the first Red-wingedBlackbirds and a woodpecker in the feeder. There was also a Common Redpoll hanging around. I couldn’t get a picture of the large woodpecker hanging on the basket. Maybe next time. 

A Common Redpoll and a Junco

No comments:

Post a Comment