Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, November 23, 2015

A bottle of wine and a movie



Just finished bottling my second batch of red wine. I did one yesterday. Those two batches have been ‘aging’ in their carboys since May of this year. In the summer I usually don’t have any time to make wine. I leave that for the winter activities.

I got 26 bottles of Cabernet Sauvignon and 27 bottles of Pino Nero, which is Pino Noir from a different company. I bought these two from Costco when they had their sale last winter.

This last weekend we watched two movies. Actually, we started watching ‘Spy’, a comedy with Melissa McCarthy. She’s Molly in the TV show Mike and Molly.

Maybe it’s just us, but we didn’t think the movie was funny. We got to the scene with the penis (Anyone who has watched the movie knows what I’m talking about) and that’s where we decided to stop wasting our time. The acting was just so overdone and mindless. Melissa McCarthy may be a famous actress now, but I only saw ‘Molly’ when I watched the movie. She acts the same way in every role. We saw her in the movie 'Heat'. Same acting. Just 'Molly'. I guess that is the way she is.

Perhaps we have lost our innocent sense of humor over the years. When I was a teenager I just loved the Jerry Lewis movies. I remember killing myself laughing. Years later, I took our boys to a Jerry Lewis movie. They didn’t think it was funny and even I thought it was stupid. So it goes. Times and tastes change.

Then we watched ‘Jurassic World’. I enjoyed it, my wife not so much, but I’m not as critical as she is. I have to admit, there wasn’t very much new stuff in the movie compared to the first one ‘Jurassic Park’, which was really exciting and scary. Possibly, because we saw it on the big screen in a theatre where the sound effects where better. Can’t forget the scene with the Rex running behind the jeep and the side mirror: Objects are closer than they appear. That was just classic. And the thumping sounds because of the ‘Surround Sound’ in the theatre. It felt as if you were there. Wonderful.  I love my dinosaurs, so I thought ‘Jurassic World’ was okay. It might have been more exciting to watch it on a huge screen, though, maybe in 3D even.

The second movie we watched was ‘The man from U.N.C.L.E.’ At first we thought it was stupid and so overdone until we realized it was a comedy. After that it was pleasurable to watch and we thought it was good clean fun. Enjoyed it.

As far as TV shows go, we were sorry to see the season finale of ‘The Blacklist’. It ended with a cliff-hanger. Now I can’t wait until the next season starts. I actually hate cliff-hangers like that. Blacklist was a great show with likable characters.

Not many good comedies out there. Too bad. We still watch ‘The Big Bang Theory’ and ‘Modern Family’. Also ‘Last man standing’. They are still funny and we enjoy them. ‘Mike and Molly’ hasn’t returned yet. We probably will continue to watch it. Most of those other comedies are just so dumb. We’re looking for another good comedy. They’re just not out there. Over the years, there were so many good, funny and intelligent comedies playing, but many got cancelled and didn’t make it. We could never understand why they were cancelled and other, really idiotic shows, kept on playing; are still playing. What does that say about the IQ and taste of the majority of TV watchers?

I guess, I’d better go for supper and sample a glass of my newly bottled Pino Noir. Maybe even two.

Cheers.

3 comments:

  1. Went went to the show to see it. Walked out about 2/3 of the way through it. Started off alright then went down the drain. Horrible movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started watching the movie 'Tammy', also starring Melissa McCarthy. We got about 15 minutes into it when we stopped watching. Dumb...dumb...dumb...

    ReplyDelete