Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, November 19, 2015

Winter has arrived

Well, the snow has fallen. We made it safely to our doctor and back again, and it was a bit nerve-racking. The highway was slippery, but we gave ourselves plenty of time and I drove like an old  man--o wait a minute, I am an old man, older man anyway. Not too old to drive, anyway. The doctor gave me a clean bill of health and told me I'm in good shape.

As usual, the expected number of cars and trucks in the ditch. Many of them slid in just before we got to the scene, because the drivers were still sitting in their vehicles. I'm writing about this every year, but it never changes. And I ask the same question: Will they ever learn.

Many trucks are 4x4s and many cars and trucks have those new winter tires on, which gives the drivers a false sense of security. You can still end up in the ditch or worse, have an accident. The secret is still this: DRIVE SLOWLY and according to driving conditions.

I'm happy to be home again. If weather conditions allow we'll go grocery shopping tomorrow, if not we'll stay home. There is no hurry. One thing you learn as you get older is that it never pays to be too much in a hurry.

Here are a few words of wisdom:

Go back to bed.
If you  must go take your time.
Don't hurry.
Take it easy.
Slow down.
You don't need to be the first one there.
Who needs the biggest worm?
There will be plenty left because the fast ones are all in the ditch.
Don't wave as you drive by because you may just join them in the ditch.
Keep your eyes on the road and don't look at the cute girls. You're too old, anyway.
Ignore your wife's helping advice. You are the one behind the wheel and in control.
If you're a woman ignore you husband's helping advice.

Good Luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment