Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, November 30, 2015

First Advent



Yesterday was the First Advent. We lit one candle, ate some ‘Stollen’ and drank Egg Nogg, according to tradition.

I don’t know how many people still celebrate Advent; there are four of them and after them comes Christmas. It is a Christian thing and should not be forgotten in this climate of being ‘Politically Correct’ and pleasing all the minorities. Perhaps now more than ever we have to make sure to keep ‘Christmas’ alive, before it gets swept away among all those changes that are happening to appease non-Christians.

I am not exactly a religious fanatic. I don’t belong to any church, even though I was born and raised in a Christian family. However, I still celebrate the Christian holidays like Christmas and Easter. They are important, even though they are used as reasons to sell all kinds of merchandise that have nothing to do with Christmas. One good thing, they still play Christmas songs on the radios. In fact, I hear them more now than in past years. That is a good thing.

Christmas is all about ‘Peace on Earth and Goodwill to Man’, and that is something we need right now. All these conflicts in the Middle East, the turmoil in the African countries and the terror that seems to paralyze travel and threaten many activities all over the globe need some positive thoughts and celebrations. You don’t need to be a Christian to believe in these values; you just need to be a human being who loves and accepts his/her fellow human instead of being consumed by hatred that is unfounded but fuelled by a wrong theology, one that is rigid and intolerant of others of different beliefs.

Peace on Earth

No comments:

Post a Comment