Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, November 20, 2015

#Tim Horton's

Today was shopping day. We went for lunch to Tim Horton's. Not because I'm a Horton's fan, I don't drink coffee, but because it is convenient and we don't wast much time having lunch. I usually have a soup without the bun. I don't care for the bun they give you with the soup. Today I had cream of broccoli. Sometimes I have the new and improved chicken soup (didn't care much for the old version) and if they have it I order the cream of cauliflower. The soups are okay but nothing to write home about. If the cream of potato soup is available, I may order that just for variety, but most of the time it is too thick. Actually, I am getting tired of Tim Horton's soups. There isn't much variety and I've been eating too many of them over the years. Maybe I'll switch over to a donut and ice tea. Or maybe we'll go to A & W for a change. We do go there sometimes, also, but only if we have coupons. Otherwise the hamburgers are too expansive for my taste.

Why am I writing this? Nobody really cares what I eat and where I eat. Anyway, my question is this: Why do they have people at the counter who can't speak proper English? I had no idea what the girl was saying. Okay, my hearing is not the best, but even my wife couldn't understand her. I sort of guessed what the girl said and I ended up with my soup as ordered. I just say 'no' or 'yes' and hope it is the correct answer.

I realize everyone should get a chance at a job, but for heaven's sake: LEARN ENGLISH! before you apply for a job where you have to deal with the public. Work in the kitchen or in the backroom but not at the counter! I blame the management at Tim Horton's and all the other Fast Food Places. Why do they put people who don't speak the language in such positions?

This is not the first time I ran into that, and not only in Canada. When we were in Germany and checked into one of the hotels, the woman behind the counter spoke really bad German. I couldn't understand what she said. I feel embarrassed and like a fool when I have to say 'Pardon me' three times and still don't understand them. A customer should not be put into such a situation. People are offended by all kinds of things these days. I am offended by this.

I fear it is going to get worse when we get all those refugees. They need jobs but what can they do? Work in the fast-food business, I guess. You don't need too much education for those jobs EXCEPT TO SPEAK ENGLISH!

Have a nice weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment