Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Obversations in the Mall



Last week I was sitting again from 10:00 AM until 5:00 PM in one of the Malls trying to sell raffle tickets for my hunting and fishing club.

Selling tickets is a waiting game—waiting for somebody to stop and buy one. It reminded me very much of the times when I sit in my deer-stand waiting for a deer to come by. Both activities can be quite boring. From my deer-stand I don’t see much most of the time, perhaps a coyote or two and the odd bird. The highlight is the moment when I see a deer and get a chance to shoot at it. Should I be successful then that’s it. The wait is over. Time to pack up.

Not so in the Mall. I get a thrill every time somebody stops and buys a ticket. But that’s not where it ends. Contrary to my deer-stand, where not much happens the majority of time, the Mall is a busy place.

Shoppers as well as non-shoppers walk by my desk (deer-stand) all day long. And I watch them. As I watch, my thoughts take me back to a different time and place—to the time when I was young.

We took pride in our appearance. We wore nice, clean clothes. We polished our shoes. We had descent hair styles. (Forget about the way the Rolling Stones and some of the other bands in those days looked!). I am disappointed how our youth and some older people walk around. Ill-fitting clothing, holes in their pants; some don’t even look clean. Purple, blue, and green hair; unkempt hair and ridicules hairstyles. Even though it is still winter outside, some walk around in flip-flops on their feet; some were sneakers without socks; some sneakers are filthy with laces untied. Shirts not tucked in; mismatched colors, and more.

However, I have to admit that my disappointed and judgmental feelings disappeared when one of them stopped for a little chat and actually bought a raffle ticket.

I guess, these are just different times and as long as we all get along it doesn’t really matter how we look and what we wear, as long as it isn’t a bomb strapped around our bodies (Sorry, couldn’t help myself. Had to sneak that one in). Perhaps young people are more tolerant than us old fogies and that is a good thing.

There is hope after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment