Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Bacon...give me more bacon and a nail for my coffin

Now I've heard everything. A couple of days ago I saw on the news that the latest gift for Father's Day is a box full of bacon. It is one of the biggest sellers. A new trend. People put bacon into chocolate chip cookies (that's right!), milk shakes, salads, and, of course, hamburgers, not to mention bacon and eggs. In fact, they put bacon into about everything.

What is wrong with people? There aren't enough fat (yes...fat, I'm not politically correct) people in America? We need to put bacon on top of the already way too fatty foods we eat like we need a hole in the head, to use a metaphor. Too many people eat too many ready-made foods anyway. They are too fatty, too salty or too sweet. And then they complain if they can't lose weight, get high blood pressure, or become diabetic. All those ailments are directly related to poor eating habits. And usually too much of those unhealthy foods.

When we go shopping we look at the labels. Too much sugar, too much salt, too much fat...we don't  buy it. We look for foods with less of those things. And they are available, one just has to do a bit more looking around. We eat 0 % Yogurt. My wife drinks skim milk. We don't put sugar into the tea we drink, never add salt to anything. It is amazing if after a while of doing that suddenly everything you buy from the store, even eat in restaurants, tastes too sweet or too salty. Without all that salt and sugar, you can actually taste the food you eat, not the salt or sugar. It doesn't mean we don't use spices, we do, plenty of them. We eat lots of vegetables, make our own soups and other foods from scratch. In the summer we have a garden. We grow lettuce, beets, tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers. We make our own salsa and pickle beets, sometime pickles. It depends on the harvest. We don't have to worry about too many chemicals and preservatives in the stuff we make. Sure, it takes time and effort, but it is well worth it. Besides saving a ton of money.

So, take my advice: Don't fall for the newest trend. Skip the bacon and if you must eat some, use common sense. Don't pig out. Your heart  and body will thank you for it and you won't need those nails for your coffin for a long time.

Save the salt, the sugar...and the bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment