Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Big Brother is watching us

What a surprise! Who would have known? The US and the Canadian government (and how many others) are keeping tabs on our phone calls, emails, blogs, FaceBook chatter, and other social media, probably also our websites. That's what this guy revealed. ( I won't name him here). Now he's hiding in Hongkong and the CIA wants him to stand trial for spilling secrets. What secrets? Everyone pretty much suspected it. The Spy agencies have had their bots surfing the internet for years spying on us. How else would they discover terrorist plots, find child molesters and other undesirables? So why would they want to put this man in jail? Just to make a point, like don't mess with us, because we are powerful and can do whatever we want? That is the scary part. They are flexing their muscles to intimidate us...the people who gave them that power. They, the public servants who are supposed to serve us not be our masters.

People are yelling invasion of privacy. That is a laugh. There is no such thing as privacy anymore. Governments, big corporations, stores and other places know more about us than we do ourselves. Every time we fill out a form, be it at a store to open up an account, at the bank, be it at the doctor's office, the hospital or any other facility, do a survey online or on the phone, we reveal some information about ourselves. This information is stored somewhere and even sold to other interested parties. We fool ourselves if we think we can live private lives. Those days are gone for good and we have to live with it.

And it will get worse. That is not a prediction, it is inevitable and just a logical conclusion. Part of the blame, probably a large part, lies with the terrorists, those religious radicals and fanatics who hate everyone who does not follow their doctrine. They want  to destroy our way of life, our free thinking, our ideals, so they terrorize us by trying to create chaos. It has cost us much of our freedom to travel, and changed the way we live. Another part that has to be blamed, of course, is the desire of some people to control others. Give them too much power and they will abuse it. They become, in a way, terrorists themselves.

It was 1993. My wife and I drove to the US to buy a lawn tractor and some other stuff. At the border this idiot Border Guard waved me on to drive up to the booth. When I didn't comply immediately, he yelled at me: When an officer tells you to move you move! What a jerk! He took his position too far. He should have greeted me with a friendly 'Hello' and told me to have a nice time in the US. After all, I went there to spend a large amount of money. Because of me and other cross-border shoppers he had a job. I was just about to tell him off when my wife hit me in the ribs with her elbow and knocked the breath out of me. All I could say was, "Ooof"'. She knew how I react to people yelling at me. That idiot may have kept us at the border all day and wasted our precious time. He did have the power to do that. Yes, the morons are among us. (See my last post)

No comments:

Post a Comment