Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Buddy Holly Story

Yesterday we went to see the Buddy Holly Story playing on the Rainbow Stage in Winnipeg.

Wow, what a wonderful  show. The performers are so talented and enthusiastic, it was such great entertainment. Of course, in order to enjoy the show one has to love the music. Peggy Sue, That'll be the day, and other classic songs by Buddy Holly surely took one back in time when Rock'n Roll was popular. Your just can't compare today's music to those great songs.

As anyone who is familiar with Buddy Holly's story knows, the entertainer died February 3, 1959 tragically in a plane crash that also took the life of The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens, two other great and  talented singers. Now, 54 years later, their music is still remembered. I don't  think 50 years from now anyone will remember today's songs. There just aren't any memorable songs out there. At  least I don't know of any. Listening to today's singers, I can't understand any words, and the music itself does nothing for me. Songs like 'Peggy Sue' got your feet tapping for sure, and one could even understand the lyrics.

One thing I also enjoyed was the way the performers played their guitars. Such  talent, and most of them are still quite young. What sets the music from that era apart from today's music is the fact that there was still a beat that could be recognized and one could actually dance to the songs.

No comments:

Post a Comment