Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, June 7, 2013

The Garden is done - hurray! Bring out the champagne.



My garden is finally finished. Yesterday and today I planted 31 tomato plants, 24 Honey & Cream Corn stalks, and a patch of Leek. I mulched the walkways and under the tomato plants with the grass I cut a few days ago. The grass had started to break down and it was really hot inside the pile. Besides, it stank like a rabbit cage. Anyone who ever raised rabbits knows the aroma. I seeded the corn  indoors on May 25th. Today, when I planted them, the plants were about 5 inches tall. I usually seed them outdoors, but they take a long time to sprout. This year, indoors, they sprouted after 3 days.

I pushed a toothpick into the ground beside every tomato stem for protection against cutworms and I put those conical tomato cages over each tomato plant. Then I pounded stakes into the ground and wrapped the whole thing with plastic, as I did with my pepper plants a few days ago. I keep the wraparound for a few weeks, until the plants are established. The plastic protects the plants from those strong winds we sometimes get, but it won’t do anything should we get hail. Then I’ll have to run out and throw a tarp over the garden. The same happens if we get frost, but I think we should be safe from frost now. Hopefully, we won’t get any hail.

I bought one of those hanging bags for tomatoes from the Dollar Store for two bucks. They sell them everywhere else for $8.00. I planted a Celebrity tomato. I hope it’s worth it and those tomatoes better be the damndest best tomatoes I’ve ever grown. You get detailed instructions, but what they don’t tell you is how heavy the planter is after you fill the bag with soil and add one gallon of water.

I bought an 8ft hanger for $10.00 at Canadian Tire. They were on sale. Being on the cautious side, I pounded two rods in an angle into the ground to support the hanger. After filling the bag the rod was still bending. I hope it doesn’t bend so badly that the container with the plant touches the ground. I wonder how many people buy this upside-down planter and use it only one year. The idea is quite good and logical, but is it worth the trouble? The planter needs to be watered every day. That already sounds like a lot of extra work.

I seeded quite a few peppers and tomatoes into flats indoors, but this year I will keep close tab on the plants and see how well they produce. If they don’t grow and produce to my satisfaction, next year I won’t bother growing my own plants indoors. If you hit the right time you can buy plants pretty cheap. I paid $1.19 for 6 tomato plants and the same price for 6 pepper plants at Canadian Tire when they began selling plants for the season. It was still early (the long weekend in May), but I kept them in our sunroom and all the plants have grown and they were of a good size when I planted them. Tall plants are fine. I strip the bottom leaves and plant the root ball deep to let the plants develop roots along the buried stem. That way the plants will have a good foothold in the soil. After the sale Canadian Tire was selling their vegetable plants $2.39 for six. That is still reasonable. And the plants are of good quality.

Most of my seeded vegetables have sprouted. Today, I could almost watch the Beans popping out of the ground. Since it was quite warm, I watered the garden as I planted. I used a watering can instead of a hose. It takes a long time but it does a better job. Last night I had a sprinkler going for a few hours to really soak the ground. It was quite dry. I use raised beds and they tend to dry out faster than if you just plant on flat ground.

So now I need warm weather, some soft, steady rain at regular intervals, no hail, no huge downpours, no strong winds, no more frost, and I should have a fine crop of vegetables.
Just in case it doesn’t turn out that way, I have my tarps, my burlap, and large pots on hand, ready to be used at a moments notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment