Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Walleye and Northern Pike

I took some time off from my gardening and went fishing with a couple of friends yesterday. We drove to the Whiteshell Provincial Park and fished in one of the large lakes. It was a beautiful day and we got lucky. We caught 12 nice Walleye (Pickerel in Manitoba) and 6 large Northern Pike (we call them Jackfish). We caught more, but we released the  smaller Pike and also 4 nice-sized Walleye. They were in length from 47 cm to 57 cm, too large to be kept, according to our fishing regulations. The largest we kept was 43 cm long. Usually, I don't keep and eat Pike anymore because of the bones. Also in the summer the flesh turns yellow and they don't taste that great  anymore. The water is still cold at this time of year and I decided to keep two for myself.
We also caught a couple of Perch. I haven't eaten Perch for at least 20 years, because they tend to have worms. My friends assured me these don't have any worms, so I'm going to eat them. They are beautiful fish.



No comments:

Post a Comment