Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

The upside-down tomato is dead

Well, the first  casualty in the garden. The upside-down tomato is nothing but a limp piece of stem and leaves. What a pitiful sight! All that work for nothing. Now I  have to remove the soil from the bag. The soil is wet and won't come out easy. I had such high hopes for this tomato. Too bad I threw away the box. I may have gotten more money for the planter on the next garage sale. Luckily I only paid a couple of bucks for the kit.

All my other plants are growing nicely. The tomatoes and peppers are nice and green and are looking healthy. Most of the seeds have sprouted. If everything goes well I should have a nice crop of vegetables. In a couple of weeks I'll start spraying the tomato plants with Bordo copper spray to stave off the yellowing of leaves. Once that starts to happen, the plants slowly dry up and die. Last year I sprayed them faithfully and also kept grass for mulch on the ground, and that helped. My plants stayed healthy with few yellow leaves. The mulch is there to keep the soil from spattering over the leaves when it rains or when I water. I hardly water from the top, always from the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment