Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bread and Butter Pickles Recipe



Bread and Butter Pickles.

6  pounds small pickling Cucumbers, cut into ¼-inch slices
fairly large onions, sliced
cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced into smaller pieces
tablespoons coarse salt
4 ½ cups of sugar
1 ½ teaspoons turmeric
1 ½ teaspoons celery seeds
2     tablespoons mustard seeds
3     cups white vinegar

Makes about 4 quart glasses.


Combine cucumbers, onions, garlic, and salt in a large bowl. Cover with crushed ice and stir. Let stand for 3 hours. Drain cucumbers and discard the liquid. Set drained cucumbers aside.

Combine remaining ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until the sugar has dissolved. Add the drained cucumbers. Bring back to a boil and boil for about 10 minutes. Put into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
 
These can be eaten right away after they've cooled off, but they last a long time when jars are properly sealed. They don't need to be refrigerated.

How to sterilize jars: I use Sodium Meta Bi-Sulphite. (Used to sterilize wine making equipment). Fill one glass and transfer the liquid from one glass to another. Pour liquid from last glass back into container. Then rinse glasses with clear water. Sodium Meta Bi-Sulphite can be bought from wine making stores in powder form. Dissolve 2 ounces in 1 gallon of warm water and store in a gallon jug. It can be used over and over until it loses its potent smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment