Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What time do these people get up in the morning?

After being unsuccessful yesterday, I tried my luck again today. I got to Lockport at 6:30 in the morning. The sun was barely up. I never get up this early, but I needed to find out something and prove a point. Well, when I got there, I wasn't the first one, or at least the second one, as I had secretly hoped. There were already eight people fishing, and the good spots  near the dam were, of course, already taken. One thing I tried different today. For bait, instead of using minnows that had proved pretty much useless yesterday, I used meat. Beef, to be exact. I cut off a chunk from a Cross-rib roast and cut it into small strips. I put a tiny strip (about 1 inch long) onto a small #2 hook with a sinker in the line in front of the hook. It did the trick. I managed to catch 1 small sauger and a few Goldeye. I lost only 2 hooks among the rocks in the river and got tangled up with other lines only four times. I left for home at 8:00 am. In time to be home to have breakfast with my wife. By this time the place was overcrowded with anglers. I ask myself: When do these people get up in the morning? It seems this year is worse than last year, or even the year before. More and more people come to Lockport to fish. And they all seem to know each other. When one leaves, if they ever do, another one takes that place in the front. Hard to get to a good spot, no matter what time one gets there. It really isn't much fun anymore. Next month I'm going to try for sauger. Hopefully, it won't be so crowded anymore, but I know I'm dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment