Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Freshwater Drum - are they good to eat?

I went fishing this morning for an hour and a half. I was after Goldeye and sauger, but I wasn't lucky. All I caught was a tiny sauger, not much larger than a minnow. Gave me a good fight, though.

I talked with another fisherman, a young Filipino man, who was fishing beside me. I gave him one of my jigs, because he forgot his at home. He caught a few Freshwater Drum, also known as Silver Bass, Sheepshead, and some other names. I usually toss them back into the water. When I asked him what he does with them, he told me he barbeques them. Then he offered me one of the fish. I didn't want to insult him, so I took one. He gave me the recipe.

After gutting and scaling the fish, I stuffed the cavity with onions and garlic. Then I rubbed garlic, pepper, and some olive oil all over the fish. I put it onto a rack and a cookie sheet and barbequed it at around 300 to 400 F. I had the controls set to low. I turned the fish around once, an action that left some skin on the rack. After one hour I removed the fish from the bbq.

My wife scraped off the skin and removed the meat from the rib cage. There were no bones in the meat. The meat was white and looked kind of mushy and wet, but, to our surprise, it was quite solid. Kind of flaky like Cod and it tasted really nice. There was no muddy flavor as I had expected.

 So from now on I'll keep one of the Drums, if I catch any, but next time I may smoke it. Apparently, they taste great smoked. From what I read they don't freeze well. It proves again, you always have to try new things. You never know what you'll miss.

I also smoked 4 Goldeye. We'll have a couple of them for supper tomorrow night. With all this Omega 3 we should stay healthy for another week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment