Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Gone fishing

This morning I went fishing again in Lockport, which is about 2 km away from our place. I wanted to avoid the crowd, so I got up early. Didn't even have breakfast. I got there 7:15 am and was disappointed. There were already 5 cars parked there and when I walked down to the dam there must have been nearly 15 people already fishing. Of course, the good spot right near the dam where most of the fish congregate was already occupied. So I found a spot as close as possible to the dam, standing pretty much shoulder to shoulder with other anglers. I have no idea when these people get there. They may possibly camp there overnight, because a couple of them were having breakfast...noodles from a container.

I wanted to cast with a jig, but then I noticed everyone was using just hooks with a piece or nightcrawler and a sinker, so I did the same thing. I did manage to catch 5 Goldeye and a couple of Freshwater Drum (Silver Bass). I kept only one Drum and let the other one go. I want to smoke this one and see how it tastes. Apparently, they taste good smoked. The Goldeye I'll smoke for sure. They are no good in any other way. I lost 2 Goldeye just before I could land them. I also lost a few hooks and weights, but that is to be expected in Lockport because of the rocky bottom. I was there Monday afternoon and fished for 2 hours, but all I managed to do was lose half a dozen hooks, with the sinkers, and a couple of jigs. I only caught a tiny sauger no larger than a big minnow. The frustrating thing was that the people beside me caught one Goldeye after the other, while I got stuck all the time, sometimes at the first cast. Too many rock.

Fishing in Lockport isn't really relaxing or much fun, because of the good chance to lose many jigs and hooks, and also because of the large crowd of people, but the fish bite most of the time. So that is one reason for me to go there. You just can't beat fishing from a boat on a nice lake, but the water has to be calm and the sun shining ^_^.

No comments:

Post a Comment