Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

#Borscht



Yesterday I had Borscht for lunch. Delicious, as usual. In the Fall, after harvesting the Red Beets, my wife makes Borscht. She makes a lot and freezes a few containers for use in the Winter. Then, when I want some, we take it out of the freezer, thaw it and sprinkle some Dill over it before it is eaten. We also have ‘fresh’ Dill all winter from the freezer. In the Spring, the Dill weed grows in abundance in my garden. Once it has reached about 3 to 4 inches I pull it out, therefore weeding my garden and getting plenty of beautiful, fresh, green Dill. We wash it and freeze it in small freezer bags. When we need some, we take it out of the freezer, break off a piece and quickly put the rest back into the freezer. Once outside, it thaws in seconds.

My wife makes the best Borscht. I’ve had Borscht in restaurants and at friends’ places, but none were as good as the one my wife makes. Most of the Borscht I’ve eaten was a bit bland and watery. I’m not saying it is no good; many people probably like it like that, but I like a bit more substance and spicy. One of the secret ingredients is liquid from pork meat. Before we barbeque Ribs, we boil them; we save the broth and keep it in the freezer until we need it for the Borscht. The broth from the ribs is tasty and makes all the difference in the world. You can’t get that taste and the substance from just putting a piece of meat into the pot when making Borscht. Also, she shreds the beets instead of just cutting chunks. And the ribs that yielded the juice? They are super tender after barbequing.

For a detailed recipe check out my blog from Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Here is a picture of the Borscht I ate yesterday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment