Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, January 30, 2015

#Roladen



Last night we had roladen for supper. With spätzle (pasta) and boiled potatoes. (The spätzle and potatoes were left over from another supper. We never throw out leftovers). Broccoli for vegetables.

Roladen (#Roulads) are meat rolls, usually made from beef. Ours were made from deer meat, which I cut from the hind quarter of the deer I shot during hunting season last year.  My wife sprinkles the flat pieces of meat with Hys seasoning and a little pepper. After that, she brushes them with mustard. Then she lays strips of bacon on top of the meat and rolls the whole thing. She uses toothpicks to hold everything together. (My mom used to use string instead of toothpicks). She bakes the roladen in her Dutch Oven with onions. These were baked for two hours because they were big. (I ate only 1 ½; my wife ate one.) It is a lot of work to make them, so my wife made eight roladen. We kept out 2 ½ for one more meal and froze three for a third meal.

Usually we drink red wine with venison, but this time we drank white wine. The reason for that was I bottled a couple of batches white wine yesterday and the last bottle is never full. So we drank it for supper.  I know it is against the unwritten rule of wine drinking: Red wine for red meat, white wine for white meat. I’m not famous for abiding by rules, so that didn’t bother me. The white wine tasted just as good with the roladen.

The roladen were tender and delicious. It is important to use good meat for them.


Tonight we'll eat Manitoba Pickerel (Walleye). It's Friday and we eat fish, not because of religious reason but because it is our tradition. We love fish and pickerel are one of the best tasting fresh water fish. I can't wait for the winter to end so I can go fishing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment