Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, January 18, 2015

I got lucky last night



That’s right, I got lucky last night. However, before you jump to conclusions and get a completely wrong picture into your mind, let me clear that up. It’s not my love-life I’m talking about, in fact, I never talk about it. Even in this day and age where everyone blabs about everything they do on their blogs and on Facebook, there are still some things that are taboo, or should be.

I belong to the #Seven Oaks Game and Fish Association, which, as the name implies, is a club for hunters and anglers. Last night we had our yearly trophy night, where everyone who was lucky, enters the big fish they caught, the big ducks, geese, turkeys, grouse, and whatever they shot during hunting season, and the big game hunters bring their trophy antlers for scoring and, hopefully, a prize.

I entered the 40 cm #Goldeye I caught last year and I got a plaque for it, the third one in three years. My wife thinks I have enough of them now hanging on the wall. I won’t enter them anymore from now on, except if they are bigger than 40 cm.

Anyone reading my blog may remember reading about my successful hunt last year. I was fortunate to shoot a large buck with a great rack, which I entered in this year’s competition. There were not many entries. With the low numbers of deer in our province, not many hunters were successful in bagging a deer. It was ‘bucks only’ season, which makes it more difficult to put venison in the freezer. Many hunters go only for big bucks, but probably most go for the purpose of getting some venison. I know I do, a buck is just a nice bonus.

The buck I shot scored 122 7/8 points. It is the system used by the #Manitoba Big Game Trophy Association. Anyway, I tied for first place with another hunter, but my buck’s antlers won first place in the most unique category. Yes, I am a very happy man today.

And there is more. We also have our silent auction at this time. I bought 25 tickets for $20.00 and put them into the various paper bags. I won two of the prizes and walked away with a deluxe barbeque set, a $49.00 camouflage belt, a $27.00 camouflage wallet (everything from #Cabela’s), and  a $50.00 value gift card for an oil change. Not a bad investment for twenty bucks. I’m not complaining, because last year I bought tickets for thirty dollars and didn’t win anything.

So, yes, I got lucky last night.

I wish you all the same luck I had, perhaps even better.

Till next time.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great night. Glad it was finally your turn to win.

    ReplyDelete