Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dogs and Cats and other pets

The only pet we have is a bird...a Canary. He still sings even though he will be 11 years old on May 20th. That's old for a Canary in captivity. We know he's 11 because we had him bred by a lady who bred and raised Canaries. His mother lived with us for one year. We thought she was a 'he' until she laid an egg. We didn't want to return her to the shop where we bought her because we thought they might kill her. Female Canaries are not in demand. People want males because they sing. We loved her because she was very tame. She sat on our shoulders, pulled on our hair, drank orange juice from a glass when we offered it, nibbled on my boiled egg and my bread...in short she was a wonderful pet, but we wanted a singing Canary. We gave her to this lady because we knew she was into breeding Canaries.

To make a long story short, we love our little 'Robby' but he is not human. He is an animal. We don't buy him presents for Christmas and Easter, we don't celebrate his birthday with balloons and cake. And we don't put silly hats on his feathery little head.

I have an aquarium filled with fish. They are my pets. I feed them, clean their tank and look after them, but I am not emotionally attached to them. If one dies I am sorry to lose it but I don't bury it in a little grave with a marker on it.

People do that. There is a small cross on a neighboring street with flowers and a name on the cross. I assume the people's dog or cat got hit by a car. Sad, but come on, peoples...a cross? Flowers?
Dogs and cats are not people. They are animals. Possibly quite smart, but that doesn't make them human. I cringe when I see dogs or cats dressed up like people.

I never had a dog, but I can understand that you get attached to it. Dogs are affectionate and great companions. They can be trained to do many things. They are great as hunting dogs, seeing-eye dogs, guard-dogs, drug-sniffers, and who knows what else, but in the end they are still only animals, that sometimes turn on their owners. They can bite, even kill. And they crap on other people's lawns!
I love animals...as animals, and I don't hate dogs and cats. It's the owners I have a problem with. We live outside the city and the properties are somewhat larger than city-lots. It seems some people when they move out here, they think now they can have a bunch of dogs and let them roam around.

And that is the problem...the roaming around. I almost stepped onto a huge mountain of dog-crap on my front lawn. That upsets me. Dog owners, like smokers, are not always responsible people. They think everyone loves their lovable pooch. I do...as long as it doesn't crap onto my lawn and stays in its own yard or is on a leash when away from home.

Some goes for cat-owners. We feeds the wild birds, and they feel pretty safe on our lot, but sometimes one of our neighbors' cat decides to lie in wait under our bushes in the hopes of catching one of the birds. When I see the cat I chase it away, but it does come back for another try. I could shoot the cat, but that is something I can't do. I only shoot what I eat, and since I don't eat cat my hands are tied by my own principles. Perhaps an eagle will come by and get the cat. That would solve the problem. One can only hope.

There...I feel better now. I vented and now I can enjoy the beautiful day...or what's left of it. We just came in from a walk. It is sunny today, but only 4 plus C with a slight north-wind. The problem is you don't really want to wear a parka, not March 28th. That would make you feel as if winter is still with us. After all, this is Spring, even though yesterday it snowed here most of the day. For a while I worried the snow may stay, but it melted away again. The grass is beginning to show a green sheen and the tulips are poking their heads out of the ground. 

Today I seeded some peppers into flats. One month earlier than last year. Hopefully, when planting time arrives, sometimes at the end of May or beginning of June, they'll be tall and strong enough to be transplanted into the garden. Last year my peppers were not tall enough and had fruit very late. Maybe this year will be better. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment