Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Vandals and other bastards

Actually I wanted to write something positive and uplifting today, but my intention was smashed into smithereens when I looked out of the window this morning. No, it wasn't the weather. Early this morning it was quite nice. Some bastard or bastards smashed our two driveway post-lights. At first I thought we might have had a strong wind overnight, but when I checked it out, I saw both lanterns about 30 ft away from the post, broken into little pieces, the glass in tiny shards. That could only have been done with a crowbar or a baseball bat. The bulbs were also broken. In addition they broke off one of the reflectors I have at the entrance to my driveway and bent the pipe it was in.

I called the RCMP and reported it. I don't know if they'll do anything about it.  One of the officers called me back but I wasn't home. He left a message.

When we drove away I saw another house had been victimized as well, with one broken lantern on the driveway. On the next street the same punks busted the For Sale sign on one of the houses.

It seems there are a bunch of young criminals (I assume they are young) roaming the area and destroying property. I spoke with the owner of the other house and she told me it happened shortly before Midnight last night, because their dog woke them up barking, but when she looked outside she saw nothing. Apparently, her lights were still working at 11 pm. She also told me that the RCMP informed her about a rash of calls from irate citizens whose property has been vandalized. Our neighborhood has always been pretty quiet and without crime. It seems a crime family or more than one has moved into the neighborhood. And when they catch the bastards they don't get the punishment they deserve. They should be made doing community work and pay off the damage they caused, or if it was juveniles the parents should be responsible and pay for it. We are much too lenient with criminals. They should be dealt with harshly, but if we catch them and beat them up the tables turn and we are the criminals.

We went shopping this afternoon. When I told one of the sales ladies in one of the stores about the incident, she said, "Well, the kids are out of School this week and they are bored. Kids will be Kids." I told her these were not 'Kids', these were punks who need to be taught a lesson. I was young ones too and I didn't do stuff like that. Neither did my children.

Replacing the broken lanterns is a problem. It is hard to find ones that fit onto the posts. The manufacturers always change the designs and sizes and discontinue older models. I am not a happy clam today. Right now it is raining mixed with snow outside. That doesn't help my mood. Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. It can't get any worse.

Here the sad remnants of a once beautiful and functional post-light, victim of a bunch of hoodlums who have no regard for people's property, privacy, and right to have beautiful things:


1 comment:

  1. We are really shocked to read about your vandalism. I agree with your comment they do need to be caught and punished. The remark that clerk made that “kids will be kids” is awful. To many bleeding hearts out there. Assuming these are younger kids, how would those parents feel if it was their house.

    It is not just a drive by or walk by thing as they have to come onto your property to break your lights. Since other people in the area have been vandalized as well and given the size of your area they must be in a car or using bikes.

    More than anything it is violation of your space and property. We have had a wind chime and a coloured solar light stolen. Nothing of much value but the fact they were in the yard looking around for things. They just make their way up the lane seeing what is easy to grab.

    Still in your case it will cost you money to get the proper parts (if you can find them) otherwise you will be looking at getting new lights and posts. Don’t know if you have local Crime Watch but flyers should be sent out to let people in the area know.

    Hope you have a better weekend and Easter Week coming up. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete