Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The first Robin

We had another beautiful warm day. A nice Spring day. We are now two days into Spring. Unfortunately, this warm weather we're having won't last. The are already predicting below temperatures for next week.
I saw my first Robin today, sitting on top of one of our Tamarack trees. I rushed to get the camera, managed to zoom in on it, waited for the camera to focus, and then...as I touched the release button the Robin took off. I got nothing but an empty branch on my camera, which means I have no way to prove I say a Robin.
There was also a small flock of Juncos on our lawn and in the bird feeders. Juncos are a sub species of Sparrows. The have slate colored feathers, dark at the top and a light belly. They usually come in early Spring to our place, hang around for about 3 weeks and move on, to come back in the fall on their way South.

Everything seems early this year. I checked last year's entry into my blog Herbert's Place and found that I saw my first Robin and the first Juncos April 9. This year they are almost 3 weeks early.
The ice on the Red River is all gone. I'm thinking of going fishing in Lockport by the dam this Saturday and maybe catch a few Walleye. This is very unusual for this time of year to have open water already. Lockport is about 5 km north of where I live. I had great fishing success there last year in the fall. The fish come up out of the lake for spawning but are stopped by the dam. They congregate in that area. Lockport is a favorite spot for sports fishermen (and fisher-women, of course. I refuse to write 'fisher persons'. That sounds so stupid.)

Well, time to go and watch one of my favorite shows 'Survivors'. I recorded it last night but didn't get a chance to watch it. I'm anxious to find out who was voted out. I hope the players smarten up and vote out that gay guy. He is so full of himself and a racist to boot.

1 comment:

  1. Fish on. What is the measurement of your big tank because I think it is bigger than 100 gal.
    Are you going to the Tropical Fish Show on the Easter Weekend. I'll probably be in Regina and not home yet. When does fishing season start?

    ReplyDelete