Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

The lion roared

March came in like a lion, which means it will leave like a lamb. That is the common belief and it is usually true. Yesterday we had a snowstorm. I don't know how much snow came down, but there was plenty on our driveway to cause me to get stuck when we came home. We would have never left the house, because conditions were already bad in the morning, but we had to babysit our grandchildren. Coming home at around 4:00 o'clock when the traffic gets heavy with the people coming home from work wasn't too bad. The roads were snow-covered and slippery, especially the highway, but if you take it easy and drive slow it should not present too many problems. Unfortunately, there are always those who are either too stupid or too ignorant to adjust to the driving conditions. Those are the ones who end up in the ditch or, worse, cause accidents in which other drivers are involved...sometimes fatally. There were quite a few semi-trailers jackknifed on the perimeter around Winnipeg and on other highways, and also quite a number of cars in the ditch. Some people never learn. Sometimes, of course, anyone can get into a situation where they have no control. The road may look good, but there is black ice under the snow and if you hit that you're in trouble. Driving slow does help to prevent many of these mishaps.
I just came in from blowing the snow off the driveway and I am exhausted. The snow was heavy and thick, but now the driveway is clean again, waiting for the next snowfall, which I'm sure will come again. The winter isn't over yet, even though Spring is only 2 weeks and three days away. Not here in Manitoba. I remember huge snowstorms in April. We've had years where the snow was all gone, people had removed their snow tires from their cars and then WHAM! we got hit with a massive snow fall.
I watched the news last night and counted my blessings. This snowstorm was nothing compared to what the American Midwest suffered. Tornadoes destroyed whole towns, many people died, and the loss of property cannot even be estimated. I'm sure glad I live up here in snow-covered Canada. We may get a few tornadoes in the summer, but they are never as destructive and massive as the ones in the US.
A question pops up in my mind. The Americans are always there when a disaster happens anywhere in the world with donations of money, food, clothing, medical assistance and whatever else is needed. Who helps the Americans? Anybody out there in the rest of the world? Just wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment