Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, March 12, 2012

Spring is on its way

Winter may be finally on its way out. I heard the geese honking today. What a wonderful sound. I checked my blog on Herbert's Place from last year and found an entry about the geese having arrived at the Oak Hammock Marsh on March 12th in 2011. This is kind of eery. Almost to the day this year. It would have been on the same day if it hadn't be for the leap-year, which adds an extra day in February. How do the geese know Springtime is near?
It was warm today. I think we had around plus 10 C. Normal temperature for this day in March is below zero. The snow is really melting away. A bit too fast, actually. I still saw quite a few people ice fishing by the Lockport dam, which is near our place. With this warm weather the ice will also deteriorate and turn to mush. This can be dangerous. I saw last night on TV about the 27 people fishing on a lake in Ontario. They had been warned not to go on the ice, but people just don't listen. The ice melted around them so fast, they couldn't get back to land and had to be rescued by helicopter and boats. A great expense to the taxpayer. They were lucky, nobody drowned. It could have turned into a disaster. Within one hour the ice floats drifted from one km to 6 km away from shore. Let's hope they learned their lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment