Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Nice weather, guppies and platies

Hard to believe this weather we're having. When I stepped outside today I thought I was in Mexico as the hot humid air hit me. I don't know how hot it got, but the weather people predicted yesterday it would get 27 C today. Probably had that. I cut a bunch of branches from our pussy-willows like I do every year, but this year it is much earlier. The pussies are nice and of good size. If you wait too long with cutting them they grow long and turn gray, which makes them not attractive to put in a vase. They last all year. Too bad the branches don't keep their nice brown color. But next year we'll get new ones. The trees are growing taller though and I have to use a ladder and a 10 foot tree trimmer to cut them down.

A week ago our property was still under a blanket of snow, and now all the snow is gone, melted away. We don't even have any water standing on our property, which is nice. It will be Spring in a couple of days. You can tell, because there are plenty of flocks of geese flying over our house. Great to hear them honking.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that we can relax. I can almost predict that more snow is on its way. It's happened in previous years and there is no reason it won't happen again this year. We'll see.

I have a hundred gallon tank in my office. It is full of guppies and 9 catfish. On Thursday I bought 6 platies. I asked the salesman to make sure I have males and females. He assured me there were 2 males and 4 females in the bag. I should have checked it myself. When I put them into my tank, I saw only females. Now I hope they are pregnant and drop a few young. I started with one pair of guppies and now I have over a hundred in my tank. I'm just guessing, because I've never counted them. It is practically impossible.

Fancy guppies sell for around $6.00 each, which means I have a small fortune in guppies. I'm hoping to have a small fortune in platies soon. Not that I'm planning to sell any. Actually, the salesman told me he would buy my surplus guppies. I'll have to think about that. Maybe just enough to pay for the food and maybe some other supplies...Mmh. I need a couple of heaters for my other tanks.

I tried to take a few pictures of the tank and the platies, but the fish are fast and my camera slow. I tried different ways, using a tripod, setting it for 'pets and kids' and snapping the pictures with 2 second time-delay, but the fish are blurry. The guppies are barely visible. Here are three pictures:





1 comment:

  1. Fish tank is looking really good. I haven't had much luck taking pictures either. Camera is too slow as well.

    ReplyDelete