Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Happy Birthday to me

It is my birthday today. I've received a few good wishes on FaceBook from my friends. They are appreciated. I just read something by Mark Twain: Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind it doesn't matter.

Well, Mr. Twain, I have news for you. I mind and it does matter.

With every year that I get older I'm getting closer to the moment when I'll be seeing the green grass from the other side. A sobering thought, but then again, I'll have to say I'm happy to be getting older, otherwise I'd already be admiring the green grass...you know what I mean.

Speaking of green grass, there's still an awful lot of snow out there. My wife and I took a walk down to the Red River this afternoon and the water is already flowing. The ice is mostly gone. The water level seems low, which won't be for long. The water of the melting snow from the South will come pretty soon and make the Red River flow over its banks. We should be okay. Even with the Flood of the Century in 1997 and other years of flooding we never had any problems. We'll have plenty of water in the backyard and the ditches, but nothing to worry about.

It is a happy event to celebrate a birthday, but not everybody is happy in the world today and not everything is okay. We watched the news last night about the bombings in Boston. What kind of people commit such horrific and cowardly crimes? 3 people dead, 17 in critical conditions, over 170 people injured. As I wrote on FaceBook, I hope they catch the ones responsible and execute them, along with their lawyers who will try to get them off with an insanity plea. People who are willing to murder innocent people for any cause do not belong into this world, never mind all those bleeding hearts out there who will find some excuse to feel sorry for them.

If they are terrorists from another country it will be bad enough, but should they be home-grown terrorists, men or women who were born in the USA, that would almost be a bigger crime. We have people like that in Canada, take for example the two or three young men who were killed in Africa. They were born in Canada and joined a terrorist group. Another example is that guy who was in prison all these years for killing an American soldier. He became a terrorist as a teenager, obviously influenced by his father, who was a known terrorist and was killed committing terrorist acts. I still don't know why the family wasn't shipped back to where they originally came from. What are they still doing in our country? They openly mocked our way of life. Our government booted people out of Canada for other reasons, like having a website where they wrote about certain uncomfortable subjects not popular with some people. Sometimes I just can't understand that. We let real criminals who commit real and atrocious acts like murder go free while people who use our right to freedom of speech to make their opinions known, be they right or wrong, get persecuted.

No comments:

Post a Comment