Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Spring - does it exist?

ARGHH...! Will it ever stop snowing? Yesterday was so nice and sunny. I was watching the last bit of snow melting from my garage roof, wondering if the weather people would be right with their prediction of a snowstorm. They were wrong before, but not this time. Woke up this morning to a snowstorm. Come on! This is the 15th of April. Have mercy. I had to cancel my appointment with my chiropractor, because of the road conditions. This is the time to stay inside if you don't have to go out.

We celebrated my birthday yesterday. I barbequed ribs and chicken breasts. The ribs were supposed to be succulent, but I left them a little bit too long on the grill and they were dry and tough. I'd like to blame the weather, because somehow I couldn't get the temperature up. Every time I opened the lid the wind just brought the temperature down and it seemed as if the ribs weren't getting hot. Well, they did. Some were a little bit burned on the edges. Everyone said the ribs were great, but I know they weren't.

The way we make ribs is to cook them first until they are done, then we put them into a plastic bag with BBQ sauce, leave them in the fridge for a few hours and then I warm them up again on the BBQ for about ten minutes...on low heat. Usually, they are moist and falling-off-the-bone soft. Not these ribs. I don't know what happened. Maybe they were already tough when we bought them...maybe they were old...maybe they were not thick enough...maybe it was the BBQ...maybe I left them too long on the BBQ...Oops, I said that already. It was probably the wind that did it. Let's blame the snowstorm that was coming.

We finished eating the lox I made. Everyone liked that. The chicken breast turned out okay. At least something worked out.

Saturday I filtered two of my wines. Since I'm home today, I'll be filtering the third batch I have going. I may even start a batch of beer so I'll have some to drink in the summer. I refuse to pay those high prices our government charges for beer. I saw a report the other day that beer and wine sales are up. I can't believe that. They probably made more money on the sale of alcohol because all prices have been creeping up these last few months. I can't see people rushing to buy more. Once in a while I drink whiskey mixed with a soft drink. When we were in Cuba in March I brought home two 1-litre bottles. They'll last me until next year and beyond. I drink very little. I paid $10.00 a bottle. They had even cheaper ones, but I splurged. There is nothing wrong with that whiskey. I mix it anyway. It is produced in Spain and bottled in Cuba. I don't understand why alcohol has to be so expensive in our country.

Oh well, I'm getting carried away again with my complaining. That's what the weather does to me. If it weren't snowing I'd be on the way to my chiropractor right now, looking forward to have my spine cracked. Not that it helps much. The pain in my lower back still lingers on. It's arthritis my doctor says. Part of growing older. All I need is more snow to get off my driveway. Will it ever end???

No comments:

Post a Comment