Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Supper at the Keg



We went out for supper last night to the Keg at 115 Garry Street in Winnipeg. My wife had the Thai chicken, which she found a bit spicy, but she enjoyed it. I ordered the 8 oz top sirloin. I would have liked the New York steak, but it only came in the 12 oz size, which was too large a portion for me. Perhaps 20 years ago I would have ordered it, but now I eat senior’s portions. The steak was done as ordered, medium, and was nice and tasty. The potato was huge with sour cream and chives and bacon bits. There were also a few spears of asparagus, mushrooms, and some other vegetables. The Caesar salad was plenty and nicely prepared. What impressed me most was that the waitress brought the beer with the meal, as requested. It’s one of my quirks that I have when I go out for supper. I don’t drink more than 1 beer because I’m driving, and I don’t want my beer before I start eating. I don’t like warm, stale beer. Anyone who has read my blog about tipping in my Memories Caribe report, will have read about this, but I’ll mention it here again. The last time we were at The Keg the waitress brought my beer when I was finished with my meal. I had reminded her many times about my beer during supper and she always said that is was coming. Well, it didn’t until it was pretty much too late. That’s why I was pleasantly surprised when the waitress actually paid attention this time.
We found it a bit pricey, I have to admit. The steak cost around $27.00 and the beer was $6.25 for a pint of Rickard’s Red. A bit steep, but then again, beer prices have soared, thanks to our government. I don’t know how people can afford to go out all the time, I mean to nice places. Eating out was much cheaper in the US when we went on our trip last year. We had a nice steak in Hill City for $12.00. They even served a wedge of lettuce with it. The beer was $5.00. And the steak was good. That’s a price I can live with.
That’s why we barbeque a lot at home. I can afford a good steak at the fraction of the cost when going to a restaurant and it tastes just as good. I can even throw in a few shrimp without breaking the bank. Summertime is coming. So is the barbeque season. Hurray!

No comments:

Post a Comment