Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Making Lox



I made lox. It is expensive when you buy it but can be made at a fraction of the cost. And it is quite easy to make.

You will need two small salmon fillets.

Ingredients for the rub:
1/4 cup coarse salt
1/4 cup white sugar
fresh dill weed (washed dill from our freezer)

Note: There was too much rub. I put 1/2 of it into a jar for next time.

 We bought a whole sockeye salmon and cut off a piece to make lox, which we kept in the freezer.

I took the piece of salmon out of the freezer and thawed it during the day. Then I left it in the refrigerator over night.

Day 1: This morning I rinsed off the piece of salmon and filleted it to get 2 fillets.


 After pulling out the pin bones with tweezers I laid the two fillets skin-side-down onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Then I piled the mixture onto the fillets and added some dill on top of the mixture. After sandwiching the two fillets I wrapped the whole package tightly with the plastic wrap and put it into a zip-lock bag. Then I placed the bag with the wrapped fillet into a flat dish, which I put into the fridge to cure for 3 days. To keep the fillets pressed together I put a stone on top of the package.



Day 3: I took the package out of the fridge, unwrapped it and rinsed off the 2 fillets. Then I sliced them lengthwise into thin slices with a flat knife.

We laid the thin slices on crackers and hard rye bread and ate them with a glass of white wine for lunch.Next time we'll try to eat them on bagels.
They tasted delicious. Of course, they were salty, but that is the nature of lox.

I shall make it again.

April 11, 2013: This is what I had for lunch today. Homemade lox on rye, Camembert on dark rye, homemade smoked salmon, peppers, carrots, and a glass of homemade Sauvignon Blanc. Plus the glass of Vegetable juice and as appetizers chips with homemade salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment