Welcome Visitors

Welcome to my personal blog. I have another blog, Herbert's Place, but that one limits me to what I sometimes want to publish, because it is mainly used to promote my books. As it says in the header, I want to use this blog to write about things that have nothing to do with my books. There is no real theme here. I'll be writing about anything that causes me to either be happy or somethings that concerns me. It could be political, travel, a hobby, or anything else. So come and visit me sometimes.

Monday, April 22, 2013

When can I plant my peppers outside

This year I started my peppers early. I seeded them already February 28, because I wanted to get an early start. Last year my peppers were still quite small when I put them out into the garden. Well, last year was different. We already had plus 27 C in March. Today is April 22 and it is minus 5C outside. In addition, we still have a thick blanket of snow on the grass. Last year at this time I was already finished with cleaning the yard.

I've been putting the trays with the pepper plants into our sun-room during the day. It is only a 3-season room and even with the sun shining we still have to have a heater going to bring the temperature up to around plus 22C. The pepper plants are growing nicely, but now I'm worried they may grow to large for the small containers I have them in. Sure, I could transplant them into larger containers, but I have 72 plants. I'll be running out of room on the shelving unit. So now I'm hoping it will warm up soon and the snow will melt quickly so I can do my yard-work outside and get my garden ready. I usually put stuff into the garden either at the end of May or the beginning of June. We have a short growing season to begin with and every day is important. The sooner I can get the plants into the ground, the better the chances they will grow and produce fruit.

As you can see, there is still plenty of snow outside
Last year I had over one hundred pepper plants in the garden. Some were my own but most of them I bought. Why so many plants? We love peppers. We eat them in salads, make lots of Salsa and 'Pfeffersosse', that's Pepper-sauce, made with peppers and tomatoes. Something akin to salsa, but it is made with oil and fried instead of boiled, like salsa. I can be eaten like that or used as a sauce for spaghetti. Either way, it tastes great.

I will start my tomatoes probably this week. They grow pretty fast. I don't want them too leggy when I plant them. I may grow around 20 plants, they'll give us enough tomatoes for eating and making salsa and pepper-sauce. I'll probably buy most of my plants anyway. Last year they were so cheap. I bought some for $1.19 for 6 plants at Canadian Tire. Hopefully, this year they'll be as cheap, but even $2.00 for 6 plants isn't bad. A good investments for all those tomatoes they'll produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment